2 September is the 245th day of the year (246th in leap years). There are 120 days remaining until the end of the year.
- Annually: The school term of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry starts on this day; class schedules are given out at breakfast.
- 1991: Harry Potter and Ron Weasley get into trouble with Argus Filch, who thinks they are trying to break into the forbidden Third Floor Corridor.
- 1992: Ron Weasley receives a Howler over breakfast from his mother, because he stole the Flying Ford Anglia. Gilderoy Lockhart oversees a disastrous lesson with his second year Defence Against the Dark Arts class in which he releases live Cornish Pixies in class.
- 1993: At 9 a.m., Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, and Hermione Granger have their first Divination class. Hermione also attends Muggle Studies and Arithmancy 9 a.m. as well. Later in the morning, they have Transfiguration. After lunch, Rubeus Hagrid teaches his first lesson of Care of Magical Creatures, where Draco Malfoy is injured by Buckbeak.
- 1994: The Fourth years have Herbology, where they learn about Bubotubers. They also have Care of Magical Creatures, where they meet the Blast-Ended Skrewts, and Divination, where they start Astrology. The Daily Prophet publishes Rita Skeeter's article about Arthur Weasley and Alastor Moody. Barty Crouch Jr, impersonating Alastor Moody, transforms Draco Malfoy into a ferret.
- 1995: In a Fifth year Potions class, the Draught of Peace is produced. Later, in Defence Against the Dark Arts, Harry gets detention from Dolores Umbridge.
- 1996: In the morning the Sixth years have Defence Against the Dark Arts class; Severus Snape tries to jinx Harry Potter, Harry retaliates and gets detention. Later, in Potions, Harry stumbles across the Half-Blood Prince's book and, by using it, wins a bottle of Felix Felicis, after producing a Draught of Living Death.
- 1997: Harry, Ron, and Hermione infiltrate the Ministry of Magic and narrowly escape with Salazar Slytherin's Locket. Harry Potter has a vision and sees Voldemort learning that a boy stole the thing he wants from Gregorovitch.