24 June is the 175th day of the year (176th in leap years). There are 190 days remaining until the end of the year.
- 1995:In the dusk, the Third Task of the Triwizard Tournament takes place at Hogwarts in the Quidditch pitch. Winning the Third Task, Harry Potter and Cedric Diggory both take the Triwizard Cup, which is actually a Portkey. Both are transported to the graveyard in Little Hangleton. Cedric Diggory is killed by Peter Pettigrew on Voldemort's command. Using ancient Dark magic, Voldemort creates a proper body for himself and attempts to kill Harry, who narrowly escapes. Alastor Moody is discovered to be really Barty Crouch Jr using Polyjuice Potion. Cornelius Fudge has a Dementor remove Crouch's soul, before hearing his accounts of the past year. The Second Wizarding War begins, though the Ministry of Magic does not admit this until the following year. Igor Karkaroff ran for his life upon feeling the Dark Mark's burn, fleeing Hogwarts and went into hiding.
- 1996: Attack on London — Death Eaters storm London, where they kidnap Garrick Ollivander and Florean Fortescue (who is later killed). The Death Eaters proceed to the River Thames, where they bring the Millennium Bridge down, killing some Muggles and causing considerable distress.
Notes and references
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 26 (The Second Task) "The third and final task will take place at dusk on the twenty-fourth of June"
- ↑ According to Harry Potter Limited Edition - A Guide to the Graphic Arts Department: Posters, Prints, and Publications from the Harry Potter Films (see this image), The Guardian reported, on July 5th, that the collapse of the Millennium Bridge had taken place 11 days prior — 11 days before July 5th would be June 24th
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 32 (Flesh, Blood and Bone)