24 August is the 236th day of the year (237th in leap years). There are 129 days remaining until the end of the year.
- 1994: Arthur Weasley, along with his sons Ron, Fred and George Weasley, pick up Harry Potter from Number 4, Privet Drive in order to take him to the Quidditch World Cup the following day.
Behind the scenes
- 1924: Jimmy Gardner, who played Ernie Prang in the film version of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, is born.
- 1957: Stephen Fry, the British actor who narrates the UK editions of the Harry Potter audio books, is born.
- 1988: Rupert Grint, the actor who plays Ron Weasley, is born.
- 1988: Shaun Andrews, a member of British Parkour team 3RUN who portrayed a snatcher in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1, is born.