1 November is the 305th day of the year (306th in leap years). There are 60 days remaining.
- 1981: Rubeus Hagrid rescues baby Harry Potter from the ruins of the Potter Cottage, after the murder of James and Lily Potter. Albus Dumbledore, Minerva McGonagall and Rubeus Hagrid leave Harry on the Dursleys' doorstep. All over Britain, celebrations of the end of the War result in a night of large-scale breaches of the International Statute of Wizarding Secrecy, which Minister for Magic Millicent Bagnold famously went on to defend with the words "I assert our inalienable right to party". Sirius Black confronts Peter Pettigrew on the betrayal of James and Lily Potter, but Pettigrew escapes after blowing up the street they were on, killing twelve Muggles. Pettigrew goes into hiding in his Animagus form of a rat. Black is arrested shortly after and convicted, without a trial, for killing Pettigrew and for committing Pettigrew's crimes.
- 1993: At three a.m. the staff ends searching Hogwarts Castle for any sign of Sirius Black.
- 1994: Harry Potter writes to Sirius Black about the Goblet of Fire selecting him as a fourth Triwizard Champion, using one of the school's owls.
Behind the scenes
- 1984: Natalia Tena, the actress who plays Nymphadora Tonks, is born.
- If Harry was indeed rescued from Godric's Hollow on 1 November, 1981, it contradicts the first chapter of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, where it's stated that the story begins on a Tuesday. However, 1 November, 1981 was a Sunday.