This article lists the general events of the 1996–1997 school year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, which have been witnessed by the majority of the students and teachers. It leaves out those events which are only known to Harry Potter and the people close to him.
The staff at Hogwarts during the 1996–1997 school year were as follows:
|Headmaster||Professor Dumbledore was killed on the school grounds, at age 115, during the Battle of the Astronomy Tower.|
|Deputy Head||Professor Minerva McGonagall|
(Acting Head from 30 June, 1997)
|Head of Gryffindor House||Professor Minerva McGonagall|
|Head of Hufflepuff House||Professor Pomona Sprout|
|Head of Ravenclaw House||Professor Filius Flitwick|
|Head of Slytherin House||Snape quit his post after having killed Professor Dumbledore atop the Astronomy Tower; on the run from the Ministry of Magic.
Slughorn becomes Head of Slytherin House once again when Snape was on the run.
|Arithmancy teacher||Professor Septima Vector|
|Astronomy teacher||Professor Aurora Sinistra|
|Care of Magical Creatures teacher||Professor Rubeus Hagrid|
|Charms Master||Professor Filius Flitwick|
|Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher||Professor Severus Snape|
(1 September, 1996 to 30 June, 1997)
|Snape quit his post after having killed Professor Dumbledore atop the Astronomy Tower; on the run from the Ministry of Magic.|
|Divination teacher||Sybill Trelawney and Firenze share classes, much to dismay of the former.|
|Flying instructor||Madam Rolanda Hooch|
|Herbology teacher||Professor Pomona Sprout|
|History of Magic teacher||Professor Cuthbert Binns|
|Muggle Studies teacher||Professor Charity Burbage|
|Potions Master||Professor Horace Slughorn||Out of a prolongued retirement, Slughorn had already been Potions Master at Hogwarts in the 1940s-1970s.|
|Study of Ancient Runes teacher||Professor Bathsheda Babbling|
|Transfiguration teacher||Professor Minerva McGonagall|
|Matron||Madam Poppy Pomfrey|
|Librarian||Madam Irma Pince|
|Gamekeeper||Professor Rubeus Hagrid|
|Caretaker||Mr Argus Filch||Examined the students' possessions that were brought into Hogwarts in the starting of the school year.|
- Cho Chang
- Cormac McLaggen
- Katie Bell
- Marietta Edgecombe
|Second||Defence Against the Dark Arts||Transfiguration|
- On Wednesday, Ancient Runes is held at an unknown time.
- Potions is held at least four times in the week. Double Potions is known to be last on Monday. However, the time for another is in the afternoon of an unknown day. The day and time for final one is uncertain. In the afternoon of 21 April, there is Potions. It is uncertain whether that is in the fourth time slot.
- Charms is held one morning. Transfiguration is held that same day.
- On Thursday, Harry, Ron and Hermione have a rare joint free period following Charms.
The following are events which occurred at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, during this school year, that the average Hogwarts student knew about.
The cursing of Katie Bell
Whilst on a trip to Hogsmeade, Katie Bell accidentally touched a cursed Opal Necklace and became very ill. She was sent away from school for a while to be cured at St Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries.
It was known by a few that Katie was actually put under the Imperius Curse, by Madam Rosmerta, innkeeper of the Three Broomsticks, who had also been put under the Imperius Curse. She was ordered to give the then-packaged necklace to Albus Dumbledore, but in an argument with her friend Leanne the package tore open and Katie was cursed.
The Slug Club
First meeting at Hogwarts Express
On the train from Platform Nine and Three-Quarters, some students were invited to join the Slug Club for the first time in Horace Slughorn's compartment. They were all chosen due to impressive family connections, except for Harry Potter and Ginny Weasley, who got in on their own merits. Food and drink was provided for the club on the train, and it was there that Slughorn decided who was good enough to remain in the club. Marcus Belby and Neville Longbottom were deemed unworthy.
Throughout the term, many club meetings were held. These mainly consisted of the so-called "lucky" students sitting around and eating Slughorn's expensive food and drink. Harry Potter never attended these meetings, due to a combination of detentions, lessons with Albus Dumbledore, and a lack of interest.
In 1996, the Slug Club hosted a Christmas Party. Members were allowed to invite a guest of their choice. Horace Slughorn also invited other well-known members of the wizarding community who were also once members of the club. These included a pair of vampires.
- Note: This was the only Slug Club meeting Harry attended, albeit because Professor Slughorn told Hermione to check Harry's schedule to assure he could attend.
- Blaise Zabini — His mother is a beautiful witch who has been married and widowed at least seven times and has thus inherited a great deal of gold from her former husbands.
- Cormac McLaggen — Uncle Tiberius is well connected within the Ministry of Magic.
- Flora and Hestia Carrow — unknown.
- Ginny Weasley — talented in casting the Bat-Bogey Hex.
- Harry Potter — the 'Chosen One'.
- Hermione Granger — the top student in her class.
- Melinda Bobbin — family owns a large chain of apothecaries.
The Gryffindor Quidditch team, captained by Harry Potter won the house Quidditch Cup this year. A lot of this was due to Ron Weasley's extraordinary performance as Keeper—albeit because he thought Harry had slipped some Felix Felicis into his pumpkin juice at breakfast that day—and the return of Katie Bell as Chaser. Gryffindor won the last match against Ravenclaw 450–140. Ginny Weasley played seeker in this match because Harry was in detention.
- Gryffindor
- Ravenclaw (-20)
- Hufflepuff (-400)
- Slytherin (-410)
The Death Eaters' attack
Some Death Eaters, including Alecto and Amycus Carrow and the werewolf known as Fenrir Greyback stole into the school using a Vanishing Cabinet set up in the Room of Requirement by Draco Malfoy. They promptly set the Dark Mark over the school, and began defending themselves against members of the Order of the Phoenix and of Dumbledore's Army.
Headmaster Albus Dumbledore died upon being struck by Severus Snape's Avada Kedavra curse. His body is jetted off into the air and lands on the grass near the castle, where students were able to see it.
Snape's flightSeverus Snape, along with Draco Malfoy and the other Death Eaters fled the school after fighting against members of Dumbledore's Army and the Order of the Phoenix. They did not gain control over the school, and it was soon revealed that Snape was (seemingly) a Death Eater and that he was the one responsible for the killing of Albus Dumbledore. He performed the Killing Curse curse that killed him.
Battles and injuries
Due to the Order of the Phoenix's good defence of the school, and the contribution of Dumbledore's Army, not a single Hogwarts student sustained serious injury. Neville Longbottom and Charms Professor Filius Flitwick sustained minor injuries in the battle. One Death Eater died however, and Bill Weasley was bitten by Fenrir Greyback, who was not in werewolf form at the time. So, Bill never became a werewolf. He instead sustained some horrible scars on his face.
On the last day of the school year, all Hogwarts students attended Albus Dumbledore's burial and funeral. Many other guests were there, mainly witches and wizards from Hogsmeade and the Ministry of Magic. All students were sad on this grave day.
Many "boyfriend/girlfriend" relationships occurred during the 1996–1997 school year. The known ones were as follows:
- Ginny Weasley and Dean Thomas: this relationship failed due to Dean's supposed overprotectiveness of Ginny.
- Ron Weasley and Lavender Brown: this relationship started when Ron helped Gryffindor to win the Quidditch match against Slytherin, it also jeopardised Ron's friendship with Hermione Granger.
- Harry Potter and Ginny Weasley: these two had liked each other for a long time before going out. However, Harry ended the relationship shortly after Dumbledore's funeral because he wanted to protect Ginny.
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- 1991–1992 school year
- 1992–1993 school year
- 1993–1994 school year
- 1994–1995 school year
- 1995–1996 school year
- 1997–1998 school year
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Harry Potter for Kinect
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 9 (The Half-Blood Prince) - "shot off to a first period Ancient Runes class without further ado" [...] "we've got a free period now" [...] "An hour later they reluctantly left the sunlit common room for the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom" [..] "He, Ron, and Hermione spent the whole of break speculating on what Dumbledore would teach Harry." [...] "After break, she went off to Arithmancy" [...] "Hermione joined them for their after lunch free period" [...] "They had only just finished when the bell rang for the afternoon’s double Potions". Hermione says for Ancient Runes - "I've got to read these by Wednesday!" It has to be Monday, as it is 2 September, the first day of term. If she had Ancient Runes the next day, she would say by Tuesday. This is supported by Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 21 (The Unknowable Room) when the exact same morning plays out again - "As it was Sunday morning," [...] "the following morning; he had a free period before Defence Against the Dark Arts" [...] "They finished their breakfast in silence. Hermione set off imme- diately for Ancient Runes". It is also supported by the real world calendar, which places 2 September on Monday.
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 12 (Silver and Opals) - "Harry had wondered whether Dumbledore would return from wherever he had been in time for Monday night's lesson" [...] (Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 13 (The Secret Riddle)) "Harry had Herbology first thing the following morning."
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 24 (Sectumsempra) - "Harry told Ron and Hermione everything that had happened during next morning’s Charms lesson" [...] "They had one of their rare joint free periods after Charms and walked back to the common room together." [...] "They let me out of St Mungo's on Monday, I had a couple of days at home with Mum and Dad and then came back here this morning." [...] "He dropped his voice as Katie’s friends started gathering up their things; apparently they were late for Transfiguration." Katie left St Mungo's on Monday. She spent Tuesday and Wednesday at home. On Thursday, she returned to Hogwarts.
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 9 (The Half-Blood Prince) - "We got so much homework for Runes," she said anxiously, when Harry and Ron joined her. "A fifteen-inch essay, two translations, and I've got to read these by Wednesday!"
- ↑ In Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 10 (The House of Gaunt), when Harry had completed double Potions, he says "[for] the rest of the week's Potions". It is known the double Potions was on Monday afternoon. Then, in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 18 (Birthday Surprises) Ron tells Harry to "hang back after class this afternoon". It cannot be the same afternoon as double Potions, as they had Charms the day before. Then, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 21 (The Unknowable Room) states "[those] who would be seventeen on or before the first test date, the twenty-first of April" had their Apparition Test. In Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 21 (The Unknowable Room), Harry had to stay. He says "[there] were only three of them in Potions that afternoon: Harry, Ernie, and Draco Malfoy."
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 15 (The Unbreakable Vow) - "Harry did not answer, but pretended to be absorbed in the book they were supposed to have read before Charms next morning (Quintessence: A Quest)." [...] "But his hopes were not high, and they sank still lower after enduring a Transfiguration lesson with them both next day."
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 12 (Silver and Opals)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 7 (The Slug Club)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 27 (The Lightning-Struck Tower)