The following events occurred in the year 1995:
- 4 January: Rita Skeeter's article exposing Rubeus Hagrid as a half-giant is published in The Daily Prophet.
- 24 February: The Second Task of the Triwizard Tournament is held in the lake of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
- 5 March: Rita Skeeter's Witch Weekly story, Harry Potter's Secret Heartache, is published
- April: Molly Weasley sends a package of Easter eggs with Percy Weasley's letter to Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, and Hermione Granger.
- 27 May: Bartemius Crouch Sr. is killed by his son. His body is transfigured into a bone and buried in Rubeus Hagrid's garden.
- 24 June:
- The Third Task of the Triwizard Tournament is held. Harry Potter and Cedric Diggory tie for first place, and upon seizing the Triwizard Cup, are both transported to the Little Hangleton graveyard.
- After Peter Pettigrew murders Cedric, he performs a ritual to return Lord Voldemort to physical form.
- Harry Potter and Lord Voldemort have their first duel, where Harry escapes the Killing Curse.
- Harry escapes and informs Albus Dumbledore, who reconstitutes the Order of the Phoenix.
- Barty Crouch Jr. is exposed as having posed as Alastor Moody, murdered his father, and tampered with the Triwizard Tournament. He is given the Dementor's Kiss.
- Minister for Magic Cornelius Fudge refuses to believe that Voldemort has returned.
- The Second Wizarding War unofficially begins.
- Between 24 June and 31 July: Percy Weasley has a row with his father about being promoted as Junior Assistant to Cornelius Fudge. Percy severs all ties with his family.
- 2 August: Harry Potter and Dudley Dursley are attacked by Dementors sent by Dolores Umbridge. Harry drives them off with his Patronus and receives a notice from the Improper Use of Magic Office for using underage magic.
- 6 August : Harry Potter is escorted to Number Twelve, Grimmauld Place , headquarters of the Order of the Phoenix .
- 12 August: Harry Potter's disciplinary hearing is held in front of the entire Wizengamot in Courtroom Ten at the Ministry of Magic. He is acquitted.
- 30 August: The Ministry passes Educational Decree Number Twenty-Two, appointing Umbridge as Defence Against the Dark Arts professor at Hogwarts.
- 31 August:
- 8 September: The Ministry passes Educational Decree Number Twenty-Three, giving Umbridge the position of Hogwarts High Inquisitor.
- 7 October: Educational Decree Number Twenty-Four is passed by the Ministry of Magic: all student organisations, societies, teams, groups, and clubs are disbanded, and are only allowed to reform with permission.
- October: Dumbledore's Army is founded by Harry, Hermione, and Ron.
- December:Postmortem analysis reveals that a series of notes Albus Dumbledore wrote before his death regarding The Tales of Beedle the Bard were completed around this time, approximately eighteen months before his death in June of 1997.
- 18 December: Harry Potter finally shares a kiss with his crush, Cho Chang.
- Arthur Weasley is attacked by Nagini in the Department of Mysteries.
- 25 December: Neville and Augusta Longbottom visit Alice and Frank Longbottom in St. Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries.
- Unknown date: The eighty-fifth Wizarding Schools Potions Championship is held.
- The Tutshill Tornados led the British and Irish Quidditch League in the autumn of 1995. According to The Quibbler, the Tornados had used a combination of torture, blackmail, and illegal broom tampering to win their matches.
Known individuals that graduated from Hogwarts
- 27 May: Bartemius Crouch Sr., onetime Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement and Head of the Department of International Magical Cooperation.
- 24 June: Cedric Diggory
- Karkus, the Gurg of the last known remaining giant colony
- Between 7 August, [ and 18 June, 1996: Callidora Black died
Behind the scenes
|20th century : 1990s|
|1990 - 1991 - 1992 - 1993 - 1994 - 1995 - 1996 - 1997 - 1998 - 1999|
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - Chapter 16 (The Goblet of Fire)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 14 — Percy and Padfoot
- ↑ The Tales of Beedle the Bard - Introduction
- ↑ Wonderbook: Book of Potions
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- ↑ Harry Potter Limited Edition - A Guide to the Graphic Arts Department: Posters, Prints, and Publications from the Harry Potter Films (see this image)
- ↑ As fourth-years have Transfiguration on Thursdays and earlier that day Harry got held back in Transfiguration, that day was a Thursday. According to that same chapter, it was in the last week of May. If this is correct, it happened on a Thursday in the last week of May. According to this calender produced by the Harry Potter Lexicon, that day was the 27th. See this page for source on the year.
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - Chapter 37 (The Lost Prophecy). Phineas Nigellus says "Am I to understand that my great-great-grandson -- the last of the Blacks -- is dead?". This means that Callidora is dead by that date, 18 June 1996, but the Black family tree did not list her death in August, 1995.