The following events occurred in the year 1993:
- Dolores Umbridge designs anti-werewolf legislation that makes it nearly impossible for those infected with lycanthropy to get jobs.
- The Sweetwater All-Stars beat the Quiberon Quafflepunchers after a five-day match.
- Hermione is granted a Time-Turner by the Ministry of Magic in order to take extra classes.
- 14 February: Gilderoy Lockhart holds a Valentine's Day celebration. Harry Potter receives an anonymous singing valentine (sent by Ginny Weasley). He then begins to use the old diary of Tom Riddle.
- 8 May: The basilisk petrifies Hermione Granger and Penelope Clearwater, removing Harry as a suspect behind the attacks. Rubeus Hagrid is sent to Azkaban and Albus Dumbledore is removed as headmaster of Hogwarts.
- 24 May: Harry and Ron Weasley enter the Forbidden Forest and meet Aragog.
- 29 May: Harry enters the Chamber of Secrets, where he kills the basilisk and stabs Tom Riddle's diary with a fang, destroying it and saving Ginny Weasley’s life. When Professor Lockhart attempts to Obliviate Harry and Ron and take credit for the rescue, the spell backfires, wiping his memory.
- 30 May: Dobby the house-elf is freed from service to the Malfoy family after Harry tricks Lucius Malfoy into throwing a sock at him. Malfoy is removed from the school’s Board of Governors and Hagrid and Dumbledore return to Hogwarts.
- July: The Granger family vacations in France, and the Weasley family in Egypt. Sirius Black escapes from Azkaban.
- 1 September: Dementors board the Hogwarts Express during the trip to Hogwarts; Remus Lupin drives them away from Harry Potter, who fainted due to the power of the Dementors.
- 2 September: At 9 a.m., Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, and Hermione Granger have their first Divination class. Hermione also attends Muggle Studies and Arithmancy 9 a.m. as well. Later in the morning, they have Transfiguration. After lunch, Rubeus Hagrid teaches his first lesson of Care of Magical Creatures, where Draco Malfoy is injured by Buckbeak.
- 8 September: The Boggart that Remus Lupin used for his Defence Against the Dark Arts class, took up residence in the teacher's wardrobe in the Staffroom.
- 9 September: The Third year students have their first Defence Against the Dark Arts class with Professor Remus Lupin, where he shows them how to tackle a Boggart.
- 7 August: Harry Potter, angered by Marge Dursley insulting his late parents, magically inflates her, and then runs away to stay at the Leaky Cauldron.
- 31 August: Harry meets Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger in Diagon Alley. Hermione purchases her pet Crookshanks.
- 31 October: Sirius Black breaks into Hogwarts and slashes the Fat Lady’s portrait while searching for Peter Pettigrew. The Fat Lady is succeeded by Sir Cadogan.
- Late December: Fred and George Weasley give Harry the Marauder's Map so that he can sneak into Hogsmeade.
- 25 December: Harry receives a Firebolt anonymously. Hermione, fearing that it was sent by Sirius Black and jinxed, turns it into Professor McGonagall, angering Harry and Ron.
Individuals starting at Hogwarts
- Astoria Greengrass (possibly)
Behind the scenes
- Hebe Beardsall, who played Ariana Dumbledore in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, was born in July of this year to Jonny and Janie Beardsall.
Notes and references
|20th century : 1990s|
|1990 - 1991 - 1992 - 1993 - 1994 - 1995 - 1996 - 1997 - 1998 - 1999|