The 1980s was the decade between the first and Second Wizarding Wars against Lord Voldemort and his Death Eaters. Since most of the magical community considered Voldemort to have died on 31 October, 1981, the vast majority of the population expected the future would only bring peace. However, even those who were not yet born or who were very young when Voldemort was active, still feared to speak his name many years after his supposed death, unlike the peacetime between the fall of Grindlewald in 1945 and Voldemort's rise to power in 1969/1970 where the vast majority of the wizarding population didn't see another Dark Lord coming, the 1980s and early 1990s were more uncertain as Voldemort's body had disappeared, but many still feared his name. According to W.O.M.B.A.T. it is in this decade that the remaining Giants were driven into seclusion.
Many of the Second Wizarding War heroes were born during the years 1980 and 1981 such as Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, Neville Longbottom, Luna Lovegood, and Ginny Weasley. Draco Malfoy was also born during this decade.
Gwenog Jones, Bill, Charlie and Percy Weasley, Oliver Wood, Nymphadora Tonks, Marcus Flint, Heathcote Barbary (lead singer of the wizard rock band; The Weird Sisters) and possibly Hestia Jones all started or attended Hogwarts during the 1980s and early 1990s; elsewhere Fleur Delacour and Viktor Krum started at Beauxbatons and Durmstrang respectively during the middle 1980s.
- Early 1980s - The British Wizarding Broadcasting Corporation is founded. It is disbanded soon after on the grounds of being in violation of the International Statute of Wizarding Secrecy.
- 1985 to 1986 school year: Charlie Weasley played as Seeker for Gryffindor Quidditch team this season. Gryffindor won the Quidditch Cup.
- 1986 to 1987 school year: Either Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw or Slytherin won the Quidditch Cup.
- 1987 to 1988 school year: Either Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw or Slytherin won the Quidditch Cup.
- 1988 to 1989 school year: Either Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw or Slytherin won the Quidditch Cup.
Notes and references
- ↑ Pottermore
|20th century : 1980s|
|1980 - 1981 - 1982 - 1983 - 1984 - 1985 - 1986 - 1987 - 1988 - 1989|
| 20th century|
1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s