The 1970s was the time of Lord Voldemort's first rise to power. Though Muggles, of course, remain oblivious to the war, this time is remembered by the wizarding world as a violent time of terror and bloodshed.
Voldemort's followers, the Death Eaters, tortured and murdered many Muggles and Muggle-borns for sport. Due to extensive use of the Imperius Curse, it was hard to tell who was on which side and many who served Voldemort later claimed to have been under the influence of the Imperius Curse.
With Harry Potter's defeat of Voldemort in October of 1981, the war seemed to be over, but this, unfortunately, was not the case. With Voldemort's return to full power in 1995, much of the second half of the 1990s became Voldemort's second, albeit shorter, but much more violent reign of terror.
Additionally, many of the combatants of the Second Wizarding War were born during the war in this decade including: Bill Weasley, Charlie Weasley, Percy Weasley, Fred and George Weasley, Hermione Granger, Cho Chang, and among numerous others.
- Between 1977 and 1980: James Potter and Lily Evans get married, with Sirius Black as the best man.
- 1970 to 1972: The Slytherin Quidditch team was captained by Steve Laughalot.
- 1972 to 1976: The Slytherin Quidditch team was captained by Emma Vanity.
- 1976: The Slytherin Quidditch team was captained by Lucinda Talkalot.
- James Potter played as a Chaser for Gryffindor sometime in this decade.
- At some point during this period, the Gryffindor team won the Quidditch cup.
- M. G. McGonagall played on the Gryffindor Quidditch team, winning an award for it.
- 1972-1973: Nymphadora Tonks.
- 1972-1973: Jacob's sibling.
- 1972-1973: Rowan Khanna.
- 1972-1973: Merula Snyde.
- 1972-1973: Ben Copper.
- 1972-1973: Penny Haywood.
- 1972-1973: Tulip Karasu.
- 1972-1973: Barnaby Lee.
- 1972-1973: Ismelda Murk.
- 1972-1973: Andre Egwu.
- 1972-1973: Talbott Winger.
- 1972-1973: Liz Tuttle.
- 1972-1973: Jae Kim.
- 1972-1973: Badeea Ali.
- 1972-1973: Diego Caplan.
- 1974-1975: Marcus Flint.
- 1975-1976: Oliver Wood.
- 1976-1977: Beatrice Haywood.
- 1976-1977: Elora Dunn.
- 1977-1978: Alicia Spinnet.
- 1977-1978: Adrian Pucey.
- 1978-1979: Cho Chang.
- 1978-1979: Eddie Carmichael.
- 1978-1979:Cormac McLaggen.
- 1978-1979: Katie Bell.
- 19 September 1979: Hermione Granger.
Notes and references
- ↑ This happened sometime between Lily and James leaving Hogwarts in June 1977, and Harry Potter being born on 31 July 1980
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Harry Potter: The Exhibition, (see this image)
- ↑ 16 October 2000 Scholastic Chat with J.K. Rowling
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Chapter 14 (Snape's Grudge) - Severus Snape states that James Potter felt "rules were for lesser mortals, not Quidditch Cup winners."
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 3 (The Advance Guard) - "'You're an Auror?' said Harry... 'Yeah,' said Tonks...'I only qualified a year ago'" Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 29 (Career Advice) - "'...Auror training takes an additional three years...' [said Professor McGonagall] Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix begins in 1995, so Tonks must have finished Hogwarts in 1991, putting her birthdate in 1972 or 1973.
- ↑ 7.00 7.01 7.02 7.03 7.04 7.05 7.06 7.07 7.08 7.09 7.10 7.11 7.12 7.13 7.14 7.15 Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 9 (The Midnight Duel) - "But Wood turned out to be a person, a burly fifth year boy..."
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Alicia was part of the Gryffindor Quidditch team when Harry Potter started Hogwarts in 1991. In the 1996–1997 school year, Harry realised Katie Bell was the only remaining member of the original team still at Hogwarts. This means Alicia left in July 1996, since she was still part of the team in the 1995–1996 school year. Therefore, Alicia would have been born between September 1977 and August 1978 to have left Hogwarts in 1996.
- ↑ Adrian is mentioned to be part of the Slytherin Quidditch team from the 1991-1992 school year to the 1995-1996 school year meaning he had to be two years above Harry Potter and therefore born between September 1977 to August 1978.
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Cho is a year above Harry Potter when he was in his third year meaning she was born between September 1978 to August 1979.
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, it is stated Eddie was in his sixth year during the 1995–1996 school year and therefore started Hogwarts in September 1990.
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Cormac is a year above Harry Potter in the 1996-1997 school year meaning he was in his seventh year then and therefore born between September 1978 and August 1979.
- ↑ Katie was still attending Hogwarts in the 1996 to 1997 school year. She was also part of the Gryffindor Quidditch team in the 1991-1992 school year. Therefore, she was in her second year then. This means she was born between September 1978 and August 1979.
|20th century : 1970s|
|1970 - 1971 - 1972 - 1973 - 1974 - 1975 - 1976 - 1977 - 1978 - 1979|
| 20th century|
1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s