The 1970s was the time of Lord Voldemort's first rise to power. Though Muggles, of course, remain oblivious to the war, this time is remembered by the wizarding world as a violent time of terror and bloodshed.
Voldemort's followers, the Death Eaters, tortured and murdered many Muggles and Muggle-borns for sport. Due to extensive use of the Imperius Curse, it was hard to tell who was on which side and many who served Voldemort later claimed to have been under the influence of the Imperius Curse.
With Harry Potter's defeat of Voldemort in October of 1981, the war seemed to be over, but this, unfortunately, was not the case. With Voldemort's return to full power in 1995, much of the second half of the 1990s became Voldemort's second, albeit shorter, but much more violent reign of terror.
Additionally, many of the combatants of the Second Wizarding War were born during the war in this decade and 1980 and 1981, including Bill Weasley, Charlie Weasley, Percy Weasley, Fred and George Weasley, Hermione Granger, Cho Chang, Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, Ginny Weasley, Draco Malfoy, Luna Lovegood and Neville Longbottom among numerous others.
- 1970 to 1972: The Slytherin Quidditch team was captained by Steve Laughalot.
- 1970 : It is safe to assume that this year contained a major leap in Lord Voldemort's first rise to power
- 1971 : Remus Lupin is accepted to begin his first year at Hogwarts; the Whomping Willow is planted
- 1971 : (late in the year) Remus Lupin's friends discover that he is a werewolf, and resolve to learn to become animagi.
- 1972 to 1976: The Slytherin Quidditch team was captained by Emma Vanity.
- 1972 : The Chudley Cannons adopt a new motto, "Let's all keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best."
- 1973 : The probable birth year of Nymphadora Tonks
- 1973 : Janus Thickey pretends to be killed by a Lethifold
- 1973 : Charis Black Crouch dies
- 1974: The eighty-second Wizarding Schools Potions Championship is held.
- 1974: Remus Lupin becomes a Hogwarts prefect
- 1974: Sirius Black runs away from home to live with the Potter family
- 1974: Sirius Black, James Potter, and Peter Pettigrew succeed in becoming animagi
- 1975: Minister for Magic Eugenia Jenkins is seen as inadequate to the challenge of the first rise of Lord Voldemort, and is replaced by the hard-lined Harold Minchum.
- 1975: Sirius Black, James Potter, Remus Lupin, and Peter Pettigrew create the Marauder's Map
- 1975: Hairy Snout, Human Heart is published by Whizz Hard Books
- 1976: The Slytherin Quidditch team was captained by Lucinda Talkalot.
- 1976: Sirius Black sees his cousin Bellatrix Lestrange for the last time before they are both in Azkaban
- 1976: Oliver Wood is born
- 1976: James Potter and Lily Evans become Head Boy and Girl
- 1977: Dorea Black Potter dies
- 1978 or 1979: James Potter and Lily Evans get married, Sirius Black is the best man
- 1978: Universal Brooms Ltd. goes out of business
- 1979: Cho Chang is born
- 1979: Peter Pettigrew begins passing information to Lord Voldemort
- 1979: Regulus Black tries to leave the Death Eaters and is killed on Lord Voldemort's orders
- 1979: Newt Scamander earns the Order of Merlin, Second Class
- 1979: Orion Black dies at age 50
- James Potter played as a Chaser for Gryffindor sometime in this decade.
- At some point during this period, the Gryffindor team won the Quidditch cup.
- M. G. McGonagall played on the Gryffindor Quidditch team, winning an award for it.
- 1970s on Wikipedia
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Harry Potter: The Exhibition, (see this image)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 1 - (The Boy Who Lived) - Albus Dumbledore says in reaction to Voldemort's first downfall "We've had precious little to celebrate for eleven years" (at the time it is November 1981)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Chapter 18- (Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs) - Based on Lupin's birthyear
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Chapter 18- (Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs) - "It took them the best part of three years to figure out how to [become animagi]... Finally, in our fifth year, they managed it."
- ↑ Quidditch Through the Ages, Chapter 7 - (Quidditch Teams of Britain and Ireland)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 3 - (The Advance Guard) - "'You're an Auror?' said Harry... 'Yeah,' said Tonks...'I only qualified a year ago'" Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 29 - (Career Advice) - "'...Auror training takes an additional three years...' [said Professor McGonagall] Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix begins in 1995, so Tonks must have finished Hogwarts in 1991, putting her birthdate in 1972 or 1973
- ↑ Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 Black Family Tree, as drawn by JK Rowling
- ↑ Wonderbook: Book of Potions
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 9 - (The Woes of Mrs. Weasley) - "Lupin was the good boy, he got the [prefect's] badge"
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 6 - (The Noble and Most Ancient House of Black) - "'You ran away from home?' 'When I was about sixteen,' said Sirius. 'I'd had enough.' 'Where did you go?' asked Harry... 'Your dad's place,' said Sirius."
- ↑ Pottermore - New from J.K. Rowling: "Ministers for Magic"
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Chapter 18 - (Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs) - Remus Lupin reveals that they wrote the map a little after they became animagi, somewhere in this year
- ↑ Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 6 - (The Noble and Most Ancient House of Black) "I haven't seen [Bellatrix] since I was , unless you count a glimpse of her coming in to Azkaban"
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 9 - (The Midnight Duel) "But Wood turned out to be a person, a burly fifth year boy..."
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 4 - (The Keeper of the Keys) - "Head boy and girl in their day,"
- ↑ This happened sometime between Lily and James leaving Hogwarts in 1977, and Harry Potter being born in 1980
- ↑ Quidditch Through the Ages, Chapter 9 -(The Development of the Racing Broom)
- ↑ Cho is a year above Harry
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Chapter 19 -(The Servant of Lord Voldemort)- "DON'T LIE!" bellowed Black. "YOU'D BEEN PASSING INFORMATION TO [Lord Voldemort] FOR A YEAR BEFORE LILY AND JAMES DIED! YOU WERE HIS SPY!"
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 6 -(The Noble and Most Ancient House of Black)-"Sirius jabbed a finger at the very bottom of the tree, at the name 'Regulus Black'. A date of death (some fifteen years previously) followed the date of birth."
- ↑ Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- ↑ 16 October 2000 Scholastic Chat with J.K. Rowling
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Chapter 14 - (Snape's Grudge) - Severus Snape states that James Potter felt "rules were for lesser mortals, not Quidditch Cup winners."
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
|20th century : 1970s|
|1970 - 1971 - 1972 - 1973 - 1974 - 1975 - 1976 - 1977 - 1978 - 1979|
| 20th century|
1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s