The 1970s was the time of Lord Voldemort's first rise to power. Though Muggles, of course, remain oblivious to the war, this time is remembered by the wizarding world as a violent time of terror and bloodshed.
Voldemort's followers, the Death Eaters, tortured and murdered many Muggles and Muggle-borns for sport. Due to extensive use of the Imperius Curse, it was hard to tell who was on which side and many who served Voldemort later claimed to have been under the influence of the Imperius Curse.
With Harry Potter's defeat of Voldemort in October of 1981, the war seemed to be over, but this, unfortunately, was not the case. With Voldemort's return to full power in 1995, much of the second half of the 1990s became Voldemort's second, albeit shorter, but much more violent reign of terror.
Additionally, many of the combatants of the Second Wizarding War were born during the war in this decade including: Bill Weasley, Charlie Weasley, Percy Weasley, Fred and George Weasley, Hermione Granger, Cho Chang, and among numerous others.
- Between 1977 and 1980: James Potter and Lily Evans get married, with Sirius Black as the best man.
- 1970 to 1972: The Slytherin Quidditch team was captained by Steve Laughalot.
- 1972 to 1976: The Slytherin Quidditch team was captained by Emma Vanity.
- 1976: The Slytherin Quidditch team was captained by Lucinda Talkalot.
- James Potter played as a Chaser for Gryffindor sometime in this decade.
- At some point during this period, the Gryffindor team won the Quidditch cup.
- M. G. McGonagall played on the Gryffindor Quidditch team, winning an award for it.
- 1974-1975: Marcus Flint
- 1975-1976: Oliver Wood
- 1977-1978: Alicia Spinnet
- 1977-1978: Adrian Pucey
- 1978-1979: Cho Chang
- 1978-1979: Eddie Carmichael
- 1978-1979: Cormac McLaggen
- 1978-1979: Katie Bell
- ↑ This happened sometime between Lily and James leaving Hogwarts in June 1977, and Harry Potter being born on 31 July 1980
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Harry Potter: The Exhibition, (see this image)
- ↑ 16 October 2000 Scholastic Chat with J.K. Rowling
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Chapter 14 (Snape's Grudge) - Severus Snape states that James Potter felt "rules were for lesser mortals, not Quidditch Cup winners."
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 3 (The Advance Guard) - "'You're an Auror?' said Harry... 'Yeah,' said Tonks...'I only qualified a year ago'" Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 29 (Career Advice) - "'...Auror training takes an additional three years...' [said Professor McGonagall] Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix begins in 1995, so Tonks must have finished Hogwarts in 1991, putting her birthdate in 1972 or 1973.
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 9 (The Midnight Duel) - "But Wood turned out to be a person, a burly fifth year boy..."
|20th century : 1970s|
|1970 - 1971 - 1972 - 1973 - 1974 - 1975 - 1976 - 1977 - 1978 - 1979|
| 20th century|
1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s