The following events occurred in the 1960s:
The 1960s, like the 1950s before it, was a time of peace in the wizarding world, Gellert Grindelwald having long been defeated by this point; however, because of this peace, no one in the wizarding world was prepared for Lord Voldemort's new war. The Marauders, the Evans sisters and Severus Snape were all born around 1960.
- Magnus "Dent-Head" Macdonald spearheads a campaign to reintroduce Creaothceann. The Ministry of Magic refuses to lift the ban.
- 1960: The eightieth Wizarding Schools Potions Championship is held.
- 1961: Arthur Weasley and Molly Prewett start their first year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and are Sorted into Gryffindor.
- 1962: Minister for Magic Ignatius Tuft is ousted from office. Nobby Leach becomes the first-ever Muggle-born Minister for Magic.
- c. 1962: Bellatrix Lestrange née Black and Rita Skeeter start their first year at Hogwarts.
- 1963: The Philosophy of the Mundane: Why the Muggles Prefer Not to Know by Professor Mordicus Egg, is published by Dust & Mildew.
- c. 1964 or 1965: Andromeda Tonks née Black starts her first year at Hogwarts and is sorted into Slytherin.
- 1965: The Ban on Experimental Breeding is enacted.
- 1965 or 1966: Lucius Malfoy starts his first year at Hogwarts and is Sorted into Slytherin.
- c. 1966: Narcissa Malfoy née Black starts her first year at Hogwarts and is also Sorted into Slytherin.
- 1967: The eighty-first Wizarding Schools Potions Championship is held.
- 1968: Sturgis Podmore starts his first year at Hogwarts. Arthur and Molly Weasley graduate. Hamish MacFarlan becomes Head of the Department of Magical Games and Sports.
- 1968: Nobby Leach resigns from the office of Minister for Magic, following a mysterious ilness (conspiracy theories abound; Abraxas Malfoy is believed to have led the shady plot to have him leave the post prematurely). Eugenia Jenkins becomes the new Minister.
- Rubeus Hagrid gains his job as Gamekeeper at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
- 1960 to 1964: The Slytherin Quidditch team was captained by Jody Jacknife for four consecutive school years.
- 1964 to 1968: The Slytherin Quidditch team was captained by Stuart Craggy.
- 1967: The Nimbus Racing Broom Company is formed.
- 1968 to 1970: The Slytherin Quidditch team was captained by Steve Laughalot.
- 1969: R. J. H. King won an award playing for the Gryffindor Quidditch team.
- c. 1960: Peter Pettigrew
- 1960: Greta Catchlove
- 9 January, 1960: Severus Snape to Tobias Snape and Eileen Prince.
- 30 January, 1960: Lily Evans to Mr. and Mrs. Evans.
- 10 March, 1960: Remus Lupin to Lyall Lupin and Hope Howell .
- 27 March, 1960: James Potter to Mr. and Mrs. Potter.
- 1961: Regulus Black to Orion and Walburga Black.
- c. 1961: Dirk Cresswell
- 1962: Bartemius Crouch Jr. to Bartemius Crouch Sr. and his wife.
- 26 January,1964:Gilderoy Lockhart
- 1964: Glenda Chittock
- 1964: Lorcan d'Eath
- 1968: Gwenog Jones
- 1968: Dunbar Oglethorpe
- 1960s: Davey Gudgeon
- 1962: Belvina Black
- 1965: Lycoris Black
- 1966: Sacharissa Tugwood
Behind the scenes
- 1962 - Danish translator Hanna Lützen is born.
- 22 December, 1962 - Actor Ralph Fiennes is born.
- 20 March, 1963 - Actor David Thewlis is born.
- 6 June, 1963 - Actor Jason Isaacs is born.
- 12 October, 1963 - Actor Dave Legeno is born.
- 8 October, 1964 - Actor Ian Hart is born.
- 31 July, 1965 - J. K. Rowling is born.
- 26 May, 1966 - Actress Helena Bonham Carter is born.
- 25 November, 1966 - Actor Simon Grover is born.
- 19 May, 1967 - Actress Geraldine Somerville is born.
- 17 August, 1968 - Actress Helen McCrory is born.
- 1960s on Wikipedia
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Wonderbook: Book of Potions
- ↑ Molly was born on 30 October 1949, and Arthur was born on 6th February 1950, making them both elegible for Sorting on 1 September, 1961. As well as this, Molly says that the Fat Lady once scolded her for staying out so late, meaning that she was in Gryffindor.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Pottermore - New from J.K. Rowling: "Ministers for Magic"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Harry Potter: The Exhibition, (see this image)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film) (Name appears on trophy)
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Chapter 16, "Godric's Hollow")
- ↑ 
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Chapter 4, "Horace Slughorn"). Slughorn mentions that Cresswell was in the year after Harry's mother Lily at Hogwarts. Chapter 16 of Deathly Hallows establishes that Lily was born in January of 1960, meaning she began her first year in September of 1971; thus Cresswell began in September of 1972, meaning he had to have turned 11 by that time, putting his date of birth sometime before 1 September in 1961.
- ↑ https://www.pottermore.com/?returnPath=en/book2/chapter13/moment2/gilderoy-lockhart
| 20th century|
1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s