The following events occurred in the 1960s:
The 1960s, like the 1950s before it, was a time of peace in the wizarding world, Gellert Grindelwald having long been defeated by this point; however, because of this peace, no one in the wizarding world was prepared for Lord Voldemort's new war. The Marauders, the Evans sisters and Severus Snape were all born around 1960.
- Magnus "Dent-Head" Macdonald spearheads a campaign to reintroduce Creaothceann. The Ministry of Magic refuses to lift the ban.
- 1960: The eightieth Wizarding Schools Potions Championship is held.
- 1961: Arthur Weasley and Molly Prewett start their first year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and are Sorted into Gryffindor.
- 1962: Minister for Magic Ignatius Tuft is ousted from office. Nobby Leach becomes the first-ever Muggle-born Minister for Magic.
- 1963: The Philosophy of the Mundane: Why the Muggles Prefer Not to Know by Professor Mordicus Egg, is published by Dust & Mildew.
- 1965: The Ban on Experimental Breeding is enacted.
- 1967: The eighty-first Wizarding Schools Potions Championship is held.
- 1968: Sturgis Podmore starts his first year at Hogwarts.
- 1968: Arthur and Molly Weasley graduate.
- 1968: Hamish MacFarlan becomes Head of the Department of Magical Games and Sports.
- 1968: Nobby Leach resigns from the office of Minister for Magic, following a mysterious illness (conspiracy theories abound; Abraxas Malfoy is believed to have led the shady plot to have him leave the post prematurely). Eugenia Jenkins becomes the new Minister.
- Rubeus Hagrid gains his job as Gamekeeper at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
- 1960 to 1964: The Slytherin Quidditch team was captained by Jody Jacknife for four consecutive school years.
- 1964 to 1968: The Slytherin Quidditch team was captained by Stuart Craggy.
- 1967: The Nimbus Racing Broom Company is formed.
- 1968 to 1970: The Slytherin Quidditch team was captained by Steve Laughalot.
- 1969: R. J. H. King won an award playing for the Gryffindor Quidditch team.
- 1960: Greta Catchlove
- 9 January, 1960: Severus Snape to Tobias Snape and Eileen Prince.
- 30 January, 1960: Lily Evans to Mr. and Mrs. Evans.
- 10 March, 1960: Remus Lupin to Lyall Lupin and Hope Howell .
- 27 March, 1960: James Potter to Fleamont and Euphemia Potter.
- 1961: Regulus Black to Orion and Walburga Black.
- c. 1961: Dirk Cresswell
- 1962: Bartemius Crouch Jr. to Bartemius Crouch Sr. and his wife.
- 26 January,1964: Gilderoy Lockhart
- 1964: Glenda Chittock
- 1964: Lorcan d'Eath
- 1968: Gwenog Jones
- 1968: Dunbar Oglethorpe
- 1960s: Davey Gudgeon
Behind the scenes
- 1962 - Danish translator Hanna Lützen is born.
- 20 January, 1962 - Actress Sophie Thompson is born.
- 22 December, 1962 - Actor Ralph Fiennes is born.
- 20 March, 1963 - Actor David Thewlis is born.
- 6 June, 1963 - Actor Jason Isaacs is born.
- 12 October, 1963 - Actor Dave Legeno is born.
- 8 October, 1964 - Actor Ian Hart is born.
- 31 July, 1965 - J. K. Rowling is born.
- 26 May, 1966 - Actress Helena Bonham Carter is born.
- 25 November, 1966 - Actor Simon Grover is born.
- 19 May, 1967 - Actress Geraldine Somerville is born.
- 22 July 1967 - Actor Rhys Ifans is born
- 17 August, 1968 - Actress Helen McCrory is born.
- 23 December, 1969 - Actor Nick Moran is born
- 1960s on Wikipedia
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Quidditch Through the Ages
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Wonderbook: Book of Potions
- ↑ Molly was born on 30 October 1949, and Arthur was born on 6th February 1950, making them both elegible for Sorting on 1 September, 1961. As well as this, Molly says that the Fat Lady once scolded her for staying out so late, meaning that she was in Gryffindor.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Pottermore - New from J.K. Rowling: "Ministers for Magic"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 14 -(Percy and Padfoot) - "Sturgis Podmore, 38, of number two, Laburnum Gardens, Clapham, has appeared in front of the Wizengamot charged with trespass and attempted robbery at the Ministry of Magic on 31st August."
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Harry Potter: The Exhibition, (see this image)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film) (Name appears on trophy)
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 9.3 Famous Wizard Card
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Chapter 16, "Godric's Hollow")
- ↑ I can't find the exact JKR quote where she said his birthday was January 6, but it is widely accepted that she has said that (if anyone could find the quote that would be great)
- ↑ 
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 13.2 Black Family Tree drawn by JKR for charity
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Chapter 4, "Horace Slughorn"). Slughorn mentions that Cresswell was in the year after Harry's mother Lily at Hogwarts. Chapter 16 of Deathly Hallows establishes that Lily was born in January of 1960, meaning she began her first year in September of 1971; thus Cresswell began in September of 1972, meaning he had to have turned 11 by that time, putting his date of birth sometime before 1 September in 1961.
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 30 - (The Pensieve) - Barty Crouch Jr.'s trial takes place shortly after the fall of Lord Voldemort in 1981; Chapter 27 - (Padfoot Returns) "'I saw the dementors bringing him in, watched through the bars in my cell door. [Barty Crouch Jr.] can't have been more than nineteen...'"; Therefore Barty Crouch Jr. was born in 1962
- ↑ https://www.pottermore.com/?returnPath=en/book2/chapter13/moment2/gilderoy-lockhart
| 20th century|
1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s