The following events occurred in the 1940s:
- 1940: Rubeus Hagrid starts at Hogwarts.
- 1940 to 1945: Grindelwald's Revolution.
- 1943: Tom Riddle opens the Chamber of Secrets. Several students are injured, and Moaning Myrtle is killed by the Basilisk. Hagrid is framed for the attacks by Riddle and is expelled. With the murder of Moaning Myrtle, Tom Riddle transforms his diary into his first horcrux.
- Summer, 1943: Tom Riddle murders his father, Tom Riddle Sr., and his grandparents, Thomas and Mary Riddle, for the abandoning of his late mother, Merope Gaunt. His uncle, Morfin Gaunt is framed for the attacks by Riddle and is sent to Azkaban.  With the murder of the Riddles, Tom Riddle transforms Marvolo Gaunt's Ring into his second horcrux.
- 1944: Margot Droope receives an award at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry for unknown reasons.
- 1945: Tom Riddle graduates from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
- 1945: Albus Dumbledore defeats Gellert Grindelwald, who is sentenced to life in Nurmengard.
- 1946: Tom Riddle murders Hepzibah Smith, stealing artefacts of Helga Hufflepuff and Salazar Slytherin 
- 1946: The seventy-eighth Wizarding Schools Potions Championship is held.
- 1947: The Werewolf Register is introduced.
- 1947: A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot is first published.
- A fanged gerbil was found to have been put into Augusta Longbottom's handbag as a joke by her husband.
- 1 September, 1947: Minerva McGonagall starts attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and proves to be a Hatstall during her Sorting ceremony.
- 1948: Wilhelmina Tuft becomes Minister for Magic.
- 1949: A hippocampus is caught by Merpeople off the coast of Scotland.
- 1940 to 1944: Winky Crockett captained the Slytherin Quidditch team.
- 1944 to 1948: Neil Lament captained the Slytherin Quidditch team.
- 1948: Andrew Snowyowl captained the Slytherin Quidditch team from 1948 until the end of the decade.
- 1940: Fabius Watkins
- 1941: Karl Broadmoor
- 15 May, 1941 or 1931: Pomona Sprout
- 1942: Stephen Hawking
- 1945: Devlin Whitehorn
- 1946: Broderick Bode
- 1947: Laurentia Fletwock
- 1949: Unidentified Minister of Magical Transportation
- 30 October, 1949 or 1950: Molly Weasley
- 1940: Mr. Hagrid
- 1942: Eunice Murray
- 1943: Cygnus Black II
- 13 June, 1943: Myrtle Warren
- Summer, 1943: Tom Riddle Sr.
- Summer, 1943: Thomas Riddle
- Summer, 1943: Mary Riddle
- c. 1946: Hepzibah Smith
Behind the scenes
- 19 October, 1940: Michael Gambon who plays Professor Albus Dumbledore was born.
- 22 January, 1940: John Hurt, who played Garrick Ollivander, born.
- 11 March, 1940: Derek Deadman, who played Tom, born.
- 14 April, 1941: Julie Christie, who played Madam Rosmerta, born.
- 18 May, 1941: Miriam Margolyes, who played Pomona Sprout, born.
- 4 August, 1941: John Atterbury, who played Phineas Nigellus Black, born.
- 17 April, 1942: David Bradley, who played Argus Filch, born.
- 28 March, 1942: Mike Newell, director of the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, was born.
- 4 December,1942: Gemma Jones, who plays Hogwarts' Nurse Poppy Pomfrey, was born.
- 8 February, 1944: Roger Lloyd-Pack, who played Barty Crouch Sr., born.
- 30 July, 1944: Frances de la Tour, who played Olympe Maxime, born.
- 20 October, 1944: Veronica Clifford, who played Mrs. Mason, born.
- 23 May, 1945: Andrew Burt, a British actor who provided voices in the video game adaptation of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1, was born.
- 21 February, 1946: Alan Rickman, the actor who portrays Severus Snape, was born.
- 27 July, 1946: Rade Šerbedžija, who played Gregorovitch, born.
- 27 January, 1947: Peter Burroughs born.
- 31 July, 1947: Richard Griffiths who plays who plays Vernon Dursley is born
- According to the mini-adventure The Queen's Handbag, Augusta Longbottom, grandmother of Neville Longbottom, was the victim of a prank by her husband involving her handbag and a fanged gerbil in 1947, leading her to booby-trap her handbags from then on (leading to some pain for Ron Weasley). The Queen's Handbag breaks from canon in several places (not least of which by being set in 2006), so therefore whether anything included in the adventure actually counts as continuity is a matter of debate. This piece of information regarding Longbottom is listed here, however, as the only piece of new Potter Universe backstory offered in the mini-adventure.
- 11 May, 1948: Pam Ferris, who played Aunt Marge, born.
- 18 July 1948: James Faulkner, who played Severus Snape in the video game adaptation of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, born.
- 30 October, 1948: Rusty Goffe, who played a Goblin in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix andHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, and a Gringotts Chief Bank Teller in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2, born.
- 14 April, 1949: Christopher Whittingham, who played a Ministry wizard in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, born.
- 13 May, 1949: Zoë Wanamaker, who played Rolanda Hooch, born.
- 24 May, 1949: Jim Broadbent who plays Horace Slughorn is born.
- 20 October, 1949 George Harris who plays Kingsley Shacklebolt is born.
- 12 December, 1949: Bill Nighy, who played Rufus Scrimgeour, born.
Notes and references
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- ↑ Wonderbook: Book of Potions
- ↑ Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (real) - Chapter 1 (About the Author)
- ↑ Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (real) - Chapter 3 (A Brief History of Muggle Awareness of Fantastic Beasts)
- ↑ Pottermore - New from J.K. Rowling: "Ministers for Magic"
- ↑ Quidditch Through the Ages (real) - Chapter Nine (The Development of the Racing Broom)
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Harry Potter: The Exhibition, (see this image)
- ↑ Mugglenet — Birthday archive: Pomona Sprout (information retrieved from J.K. Rowling's Official Site)
- ↑ Pottermore biography of Minerva McGonagall (transcription available here)
- ↑ Mugglenet - JKR Birthday Archive
- ↑ Bill Weasley is the oldest Weasley child and was born 29 November 1970.(Pottermore - Bill Weasley & HPL Lexicon - The Age of the Weasleys). Molly says that the Whomping Willow (planted 1971) was after her time at Hogwarts (GOF, Ch. 31) and that Molly and Arthur eloped soon after graduation. (HBP - Ch. 5). In order for Bill to be conceived in wedlock, Molly must have graduated by June 1969. Given her October birthday, this graduation date requires she started Hogwarts in 1962 and was born 1950. However, as Arthur Weasley was born 6 February 1950( Pottermore) he would have graduated June 1968, so if he and Molly were in the same year, she would have been born in 1949
- ↑ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Atterbury
- ↑ http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0926522/
| 20th century|
1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s