The following events occurred in the 1st millennium A.D.:
- 79: Zaccaria Innocenti casts Tarantallegra on himself and dances inside Mount Vesuvius. The volcano also erupts in this year, killing 1,500, presumably including Innocenti.
- 72-80: The Coliseum is built in Rome.
- 236: The Diagon Dispensary is established.
- Abt. 450-1066: The Anglo-Saxons settle in Great-Britain. It is around this time that the Hogwarts Pensieve is fashioned, which is believed to predate the school's founding.
- 819: The 1819 bottles of Berry Ocky Rot sold at the Hog's Head Pub start maturing for a full millennium.
- c. 962: Primitive broomsticks are first used for transport.
- c. 993: Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry is founded by Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw and Salazar Slytherin. Peeves is apparently "created" at this time, and becomes the school's poltergeist. Salazar Slytherin creates the Chamber of Secrets and abandons Hogwarts.
- The Annual broom race, held in Sweden, begins in the 10th century.
Late 900s Helena Ravenclaw and the Bloody Baron are born and are part of the first generation to attend Hogwarts
Notes and references
- ↑ Harry Potter Limited Edition - A Guide to the Graphic Arts Department: Posters, Prints, and Publications from the Harry Potter Films (see this image)
- ↑ Writing by J.K. Rowling: "Pensieve" at Pottermore
- ↑ Wizarding World of Harry Potter photo on the RPF
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 9 (The Writing on the Wall) "You all know, of course, that Hogwarts was founded over a thousand years ago — the precise date is uncertain — by the four greatest witches and wizards of the age." [...] After a while, there was a serious argument on the subject between Slytherin and Gryffindor, and Slytherin left the school. [...] The story goes that Slytherin had built a hidden chamber in the castle, of which the other founders knew nothing. [...] Slytherin, according to the legend, sealed the Chamber of Secrets so that none would be able to open it until his own true heir arrived at the school."
- ↑ Anelli, Melissa and Emerson Spartz. "The Leaky Cauldron and MuggleNet interview Joanne Kathleen Rowling: Part Two" The Leaky Cauldron, 16 July 2005
- ↑ Pottermore, Hankerton Humble was the first ever caretaker at Hogwarts and was selected by the founders. Hogwarts was founded by them in the 10th century so it stands to reason Hankerton was born around the same time too.
B.C. era - 1st to 10th century - 11th century - 12th century - 13th century - 14th century
15th century - 16th century - 17th century - 18th century - 19th century - 20th century - 21st century